Board of Directors
The Full Board’s Responsibilities:
- Hire and evaluate the executive director
- Oversight of the financial accountability of the Ruben Centre
- Monitor and evaluate funding needs against the Strategic Plan
- Oversee and monitor the long-range planning of the Ruben Centre
- Select and support the Ruben Centre board officers
- Adopt key operating policies; approve contracts as appropriate.
Individual Board Member’s Duties:
- Attend board meetings regularly
- Become knowledgeable about the Ruben Centre.
- Come to board meetings prepared and informed about agenda issues
- Contribute to meetings by expressing a point of view
- Consider other points of view, make constructive suggestions and help the
board make decisions that benefit the Ruben Centre's current strategic plan.
- Serve on at least one committee
- Represent the Ruben Centre to individuals, the public and other Ruben Centre in a positive and professional manner
- Support the Ruben Centre through attendance at special events and activities and through meaningful financial contributions
- Assume board leadership roles when asked
- Keep the Director informed of relevant community concerns and agendas
- Maintain confidentiality of board discussion
- Ensure all documentation relevant to Centre oversight is up-to-date and renewed annually.
Rationale: Board members focus on three specific areas of governance including
Planning and Policy Development
Community and Organizational
Development Fund-raising and Support Development
Board members are also trustees of the Ruben Centre who approve an annual budget that ensures it can meet its financial needs. In addition, board members monitor the overall financial health of the Ruben Centre by reviewing annual reports of an auditor recommended by the General Manager. The Director retains the overall Ruben Centre day-to-day operational expenditure.
Individual board members should attend all board meetings and actively participate in the meetings and serve on committees and/or as board officers. Board members have the responsibility to know and fulfill their role in the Ruben Centre and to act in the best interest of the Centre when carrying out any assigned task or role.